Kaliningrad is the westernmost regional administrative center of Russia. Only this Russian city gave to the world 4 cosmonauts: Yuri Romanenko,Victor Patsaev, Alexander Viktorenko and Alexey Leonov, the first man to conduct a space walk.
Kaliningrad is the administrative center of the Kaliningrad region. It is located at the intersection of geographical, economic and historical routes between the east and the west of Europe.
The only Russian Amber Museum is located in Kaliningrad. Amber, known as the “sunny stone” is the symbol of the region.
Kaliningrad is the city where you can enjoy the music of three organs, one of them, the largest in Russia, is situated in the Koenigsberg Cathedral.
Kaliningrad is the only Russian Baltic Sea port that is ice-free.
Kaliningrad is a command center of deep sea submersible vehicles Mir.
Kaliningrad is the strategic center of Russia, very close to most EU countries.
Kaliningrad is a candidate host city for the 2018 World Cup.
On this land were born, lived and worked: the philosopher Immanuel Kant, a writer and musician Hoffman, an astronomer Bessel, the reformer Martin Luther, the composer Richard Wagner.
Historical reference.Koenigsberg, as the city of Kaliningrad was once known, was founded on September 1st, 1255.
The city’s initial infrastructure development was mainly due to joining the Hanseatic League of the Baltic Cities.
In 1544, Albertina, a university named after Duke Albrecht was founded. The German philosopher Immanuel Kant studied and then taught in this university.
The city’s history is closely connected with the history of wars. Koenigsberg was involved in the Polish-Lithuanian Teutonic war, the Thirty Years' War between the Teutonic Order and Poland, the Second Northern War. As a result of the Seven Years’ War, East Prussia was occupied by Russian troops. Koenigsberg was a Russian city for 4 years (1758–1762) and this period of Russian rule was positive for its development.
In August 1944, the city of Koenigsberg suffered heavy damage from British air attacks. A lot of civilians were killed; the old town and numerous monuments of the past were burned down.
On April 7th, 1946 the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR adopted the Decree “On the Organisation of the Koenigsberg Region within the RSFSR” and on July 4th the city of Koenigsberg was renamed Kaliningrad.
Starting from August 1946 the city was actively repopulated with people from other regions of the USSR. This determined the structure of the multinational population of the region and the formation of a peculiar type of culture, which is characterized by interaction and interpenetration of traditions and customs.
The intertwinement of the Russian and European cultures and histories predetermined a specific culture and European–type mentality of Kaliningradians. A new era in the history of the ancient city ruined after the war has begun.