The appearance of the Orthodox Church in the center of the westernmost regional capital marked the significant event not only in the spiritual but also in the cultural and political life of the region. The construction started in 1996 with the laying of the capsule, which contained the soil taken from the foundation of the Moscow Christ the Savior Cathedral. The consecration ceremony took place during the visit of Alexis II Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and Russian President V. Putin during the celebrations dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the Kaliningrad region. .
How to find: Pobedy square, 2, Kaliningrad
In 1330 the bishop Jogann Klare laid the Cathedral which was initially planned as a fortification. In case of conflict with the Teutonic Order this fortification could resist the Castle troops. Having noticed the superfluous strength walls the Grandmaster of the Order asked the bishop for the document which could serve as a guarantee that the Cathedral would not have military devices. Only after these preconscious measures had been taken the permission on the building of the Cathedral was issued. Since then the 13th of September 1333 is considered the date of the Cathedral foundation. For that time it was a very rapid process – it took only 50 years. It is dedicated the Sacred Christ's Body, Maiden Maria, All Saints and St. Adalbert. The Cathedral, which is a basilica with 3 naves, is a very traditional one for the Order construction of that time. It is 101 meters long, 36 meters wide and 58 meters high (including the tower).
It was built in 1933 by Artur Kikton’s project . The main attaction of this church (temple) is a unique amber iconostasis. The unusual appearance of the main front deserves more attention –it is a mosaic with the image of cross. In the 90s of XX cent it was restored and nowadays it functions as an Orthodox church (the Church of Raising of the Cross).
How to find: Gen.Pavlova Str., 2, Kaliningrad