exportera bg

Museums in Kaliningrad

The Kaliningrad Museum of Amber

 

The Kaliningrad Museum of AmberThis art depository was inaugurated in 1979, to become Russia’s first and only museum of amber. Located in the centre of Kaliningrad on the shore of Lake Verkhneye, it occupies a fortress tower dating from the mid-nineteenth century. It was built in 1853 and named after Field Marshal-General Friedrich Karl Dohna, the Prussian soldier who had participated in the liberation war against Napoleon’s invasion. The building is also a monument of the Second World War (reverently called by the Russians their Great Patriotic War). The museum’s exhibition depicts the process of amber origin and the ways of its extraction. The collection boasts several thousand exhibits of the “sun stone” including the items of the XVII and the XIII, the world’s second largest amber nugget weighing 4.28 kilograms, the diverse collection of inclusions (the pieces of amber with the encased insects and plants inside). The age of the pieces is up to 45 million years.

How to find: Dohna Tower is located at Marshal Vasilevsky Square, 1, Kaliningrad, Russia

Opening hours: October – April: 10.00 – 18.00, May – September: 10.00 – 19.00

Closed: Monday

Contacts: +7 (4012) 466888, +7 (4012) 466377; info@ambermuseum.ru; www.ambermuseum.ru

Souvenir shops are available.

 

The Museum “Friedland Gate”

 

This museum of history of the city is situated within one of surviving gates of Koenigsberg constructed in the middle of the XIX century (1862). The collection of the museum’s exposition consisting of domestic life items which belonged to Koenigsberg residents is situated on the preserved block-stoned pavement inside the museum.

The exhibition displays two themes: the Fortress City and the Garden City. The film and the information stands of the first hall introduce visitors to the history of the city and development of its fortifications. The museum created a permanent exposition Virtual walks across the Old Koenigsberg, a virtual excursion of great emotional impact. The concerts of ancient music are held in the small hall of the museum.

How to find: Dzerzhinskogo Str., 30, Kaliningrad, Russia

Opening hours: 10.00 – 18.00 (ticket window: 10.00 – 17.30)

Contacts: +7 (4012) 644020; friedlander_tor@mail.ru; fgmuseum@gmail.com; www.fvmuseum.ru

 

The Museum of the World Ocean

 

The museum is dedicated to the World Ocean research and navigation, humankind’s attempts to reach through to the unfathomable depths of the ocean, and the strive for knowledge of the laws existing there.

Once on board the scientific-research vessel “Vityaz”, you will learn about an extraordinary history and complex arrangement of this research vessel. The restored interiors tell about all aspects of crew life, the work of scientists onboard, the equipment of labs and decks, and the unique world-scale discoveries and achievements making the “Vityaz” well worth the Guinness Book of Records. Russian Aero-Space Agency’s SRV “Kosmonavt Viktor Patsayev” is the only operating space communication ship in the world housing a museum exposition aboard. This exhibition tells about the eternal aspiration of human to know the riddles of the universe.

 

The submarine B-413 is one of the most popular museum items. The pressure hull and the light hull, the tower, all the main and auxiliary mechanisms, instruments and weapons appear in front of visitors as if they were on the day of boat’s retirement from the Navy. The medium fishing trawler SRT-129 recounts the history of fishery on the Baltic starting from the 15th through the mid-20th century. The museum possesses the rarest archeological finding, “The Ship of the XIX Century”, that was reconstructed in a special building after seven years of restoration works.

Amazing sea aquariums, collections of corals and shells, geological and paleontological samples are displayed in the main building of the museum. In the pavilion “Giants of the Ocean” you can find a unique skeleton of a sperm whale 16 m in length.How to find: Petra Velikogo Embankment, 1, Kaliningrad, RussiaOpening hours: 10.00 – 18.00 (ticket window: 10.00 – 17.00). On Saturdays the submarine and the SRT-129 work from 12.00 till 20.00.Closed: Monday, Tuesday. Note!!! The submarine and the SRT-129 work on Saturday - Wednesday.Closed: Thursday and FridayContacts: +7 (4012) 340244, 531744; ocean–museum@kanet.ru; www.world-ocean.ru/enParking and souvenir shops are available.

 

 

The Historical and Cultural Centre “The Grand Embassy” in the King’s Gate

(Branch of the Museum of the World Ocean)


The museum is located in the historical building, which used to be one of the elements of the old city’s defensive system of the XIX century. In 1843, laying of the gate’s foundation stone was attended by King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia. Rulers, craftspeople and peasants went through the gate.

Today the King’s Gate is a museum dedicated to the origin and development of the fortress-town, visits of outstanding foreigners to Koenigsberg, origin of Russian diplomacy and old links between this land and Russia. Keys, locks, chest, rare maps and images reconstruct the discrepant history of Koenigsberg-Kaliningrad step by step. The famous Prussian Cat meets all the visitors. He is a keeper of the city’s keys and brings luck to everybody who strokes him.There is a souvenir art galley “Poterna” located in the immediate vicinity of the Gate. Poterna used to be an integral part of the defensive belt surrounding Koenigsberg of the XIX century as well.How to find: Frunze Str., 112, (crossing of the Frunze St., the Gagarin St. and the Litovsky Val), Kaliningrad, RussiaOpening hours: 11.00 – 19.00 (ticket window: 11.00 – 18.30)Closed: Monday, Tuesday Contacts: +7 (4012) 581272; ocean–museum@kanet.ru; www.world-ocean.ru/enParking and souvenir shop are available.

The Historical and Cultural Centre “The Grand Embassy” in the King’s Gate

 

(Branch of the Museum of the World Ocean)


The Friedrichsburg Gate is the only construction left from the old citadel of the same name located on the left bank of the Pregel River. As a part of a defensive mound it used to lock a river pass and control ships moving to the bay. In 1697 tsar Peter I stayed in the Friedrichsburg Fortress during his visit to Koenigsberg with the Grand Embassy.

Today visitors can see boats our ancestors used to sail and how the Russian Fleet was founded and reveal how diverse the traditional boats of Rus were. The exposition presents boat models, carpenter and nautical instruments, collections of ship bells and awards of Petrine Epoch. Virtual models of outstanding sailing boats of the Russian Fleet of the XVIII-XIX centuries hidden in a special book “revive” on a large screen by using hi-tech devices. There is a birch bark frameboat from Vologda, Dedinovo dugout, a boat of Kizhi (kizhanka), Chukchi kayak, etc.How to find: Portovaya Str., 39, Kaliningrad, RussiaOpening hours: 10.00 – 18.00 (ticket window: 10.00 – 17.00)Closed: Monday,TuesdayContacts: +7 (4012) 632742; ocean–museum@kanet.ru; www.world-ocean.ru/en

 

The Baltic Branch of the National Centre for Contemporary Arts

 

This museum occupies the tower of the picturesque monument of the military and engineering architecture – the tower and a number of mansard spaces of the Kronprinz barracks in Kaliningrad – in order to locate here a state museum of contemporary art. At the moment reconstruction and restoration works carried out with the financial assistance of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation are in progress. The opening of the exhibition space at the mansard (1445 m2) is planned for 2012; the construction works at the Kronpinz tower (appr. 4000m2) are to be completed by 2015. Along with restoration works, the BB NCCA’s team is actively involved into artistic and curatorial practice presenting a diversity of projects at various venues both in Kaliningrad, Russia and European countries. The National Center for Contemporary Arts pays special attention to the unique strategies elaborated by artists and curators, their relevance and progress in current cultural process. The centre also gives opportunity to visitors to get informed about contemporary art news. Apart from the exhibitions the center holds artists’ talks and lectures on contemporary art and society, modern architecture, spatial development, design, sound and video.

How to find: the Tower “Kronprinz” is located at Litovskiy val, 38, Kaliningrad, Russia

BB NCCA Office: Dmitry Donskogo Str., 7/11, of. 604-611, Kaliningrad, Russia

Opening hours: 10.00 – 18.00

Closed: Saturday, Sunday

Contacts: +7 (4012) 604326, 604329, 604611; center@ncca.koenig.ru; www.ncca.ru/kaliningrad; www.ncca-kaliningrad.ru


The Kaliningrad Art Gallery


The gallery was opened in 1988 and has developed as a museum of modern art. About 30 exhibitions are held here annually. Since it was founded, the gallery has been hosting the International Biennale of Easel Graphic Art, the only biennale of this kind in Russia.

How to find: Moskovsky avenue, 60-62, Kaliningrad, Russia

Opening hours: 10.00 – 18.00 (ticket window: 10.00 – 17.30)

Closed: Monday

Contacts: +7 (4012) 467143, 467166; artgallery.inform@gazinter.net; www.artgallery-klgd.ru

 

The Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art

 

It was opened right after the war and is the oldest museum of the city. The museum started to collect its exhibits in 1946. The main museum building is the former town hall Stadthalle, built in Koenigsberg in 1912 by the architect Richard Seele in art nouveau. The museum displays permanent and temporary exhibitions in 11 halls. The visitors get acquainted with the nature, history and culture of the region. The museum includes separately located exhibitions, such as: the Park of Sculpture (situated on the island near the city center), the ?useum exhibition in the open air “Koenigsberg Castle”, the Blindage Museum (the war bunker, where Otto Lasch decided to sign the Act of Capitulation), the Museum of fighting glory “Fort No 5”, the Museum of the Command Post of the 43d Army (the command post during the seizure of Koenigsberg) in Kholmogorovka, Zel?nogradskiy district, the Memorial Museum of Kristijonas Donelaitis in Chistye Prudy, Nesterovskiy district.

How to find: Klinicheskaya Str., 21, Kaliningrad, Russia

Opening hours: 10.00 – 18.00 (ticket window: 10.00 – 17.00)

Closed: Monday

Contacts: +7 (4012) 453844, 453710, 453644; museum_2006@mail.ru; www.westrussia.org; www.veteranalbum.ru; www.65.my1.ru

 

The Museum of the Cathedral

 

The Cathedral of East Prussia was founded in 1333. Prominent citizens of Koenigsberg like the founder of the Cathedral Grand Master of the Teutonic Order Lutter von Braunshwait and the last master of the Teutonic Knights and the first ruler of the Duchy of Prussia Duke Albrecht were buried in the altar part of the cathedral. The great philosopher Immanuel Kant was buried here in 1804. In the Cathedral situated the Museum of Immanuel Kant. Museum’s expositions: Kneiphof’s history, the library of Martin Wallenrodt, life of I. Kant. The Cathedral is an architectural masterpiece and a major tourist attraction of the city and of the entire region.

How to find: I. Kanta Str., 1, Kaliningrad, Russia

Opening hours: 10.00 – 17.00 (ticket window: 10.00 – 16.30)

Contacts: +7 (4012) 631705, 934583; ksobor@baltnet.ru; http://sobor-kaliningrad.ru

 

The Museum exhibition in the open air "Koenigsberg Castle"

(Branch of the Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art)


The Order Castle Koenigsberg was founded in 1255 on the place of Prussian Tuwangste Fortress that was captured by the Teutonic Knights. Place convenient for the construction of the castle was chosen by the Bohemian King Ottokar II Przemysl, who led the most ambitious crusades on the land of Prussia, and allocates the necessary funds (royal gifts) to build a castle. During the Second World War, the Royal Castle was burned in a British air raid in August 1944. In 2001, the German magazine “Spiegel” appealed to the administration of the region to allow attempts to find the Amber Room on the ruins of the castle. A contract was concluded between the magazine (funding the production of works), the Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art and the Baltic expedition of the Institute of Archeology. By 2005, the underground structures of the West wing and the Castle Tower, basement of the West wing, which were previously used for storing wine and food of the famous castle restaurant “Blutgericht”, have been fully excavated. During the excavation a large number of architectural details (dated XIV-XIX centuries) from the Castle church and the “Muscovites Hall” were found. The museum received thousands of items relating to the history of the castle. The discovery of the treasure with astrology subjects became a sensation. The experts decided that it belonged to King Friedrich Wilhelm II. From 2006 and until December 2007 excavations were carried out in south-eastern part of the castle. A part of the underground passage was found and the construction of basements of the South wing. An external wall of the south - eastern part of the castle (faced with slabs of sandstone) four meters height, has been cleared. On that place a museum exhibit in the open air was created. Since 2009 it is a part of the Kaliningrad Regional History and Art Museum. How to find: Central Square, Kaliningrad (the benchmark – Dom Sovetov), Russia Contacts for preliminary order an excursion: +7 (4012) 453844, 453710; museum_2006@mail.ru; www.westrussia.org

 

The Blindage Museum

(Branch of the Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art)


The museum of the storming of Koenigsberg is located in the bunker. This is a one-storied underground concrete bombproof shelter which is 7 meters deep, 42 meters long, 15 meters wide and consists of 21 rooms. The bunker has all systems to support life. There was a headquarters of the German command leading Koenigsberg defences since March 1945. In the bunker General Otto Lasch decided to sign the Act of Capitulation. He was the commandant of Koenigsberg. The atmosphere of the Second World War is reestablished in the premises. The dioramas and the materials telling about storming of Koenigsberg by the Soviet Army are exhibited in the museum. The bunker’s gate was covered by runic symbols. According to one of the versions it was meant for German headquarters magic defence. How to find: Universitetskaya Str., 2 a, Kaliningrad, RussiaOpening hours: 10.00 – 17.00Contacts: +7 (4012) 536593; museum_2006@mail.ru; www.westrussia.org

 

Fort No5 “King Frederick Wilhelm III”

(Branch of the Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art)


Fort No5 is a unique monument of the European fortification. It was built after the Franco-Prussian War in 70s of the XIXth century by means of the French indemnity. It was a part of the defensive belt around Koenigsberg. In 1894 it was named in honour of Frederick Wilhelm III who was the king of Prussia from 1797 to 1840. The Fort has a shape of an elongated hexagon. It is surrounded by a water moat 20-25 meters wide and 3 to 5 meters deep. There are casemates and caponiers inside the wall. It was considered a secret object but in the beginning of the XXth century it lost its military significance and was often used as a place for celebrations and fireworks. Before World War II the reconstructions of fortifications started. During the storming of Koenigsberg in spring 1945 the Fort No5 was on the main attack line of the Soviet Army. It was claimed to be the best fortification of the entire Koenigsberg position and formed a strong resistance. The storming of the fort lasted for three days. It was fired from the huge 280 mm artillery mortar and was heavily destroyed. On 8 April the garrison surrendered to the troops of 43-d army. For outstanding courage and valour displayed during the storming, 15 soldiers were awarded the title Hero of the Soviet Union. The memorial complex in honour of the died during the storming of Koenigsberg is situated on the adjacent territory. A weapon collection is displayed in the fort. Since 2010 it is a part of ?he Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art. There are two exhibitions “The storming of Koenigsberg” and “Monuments of fortification architecture”. How to find: Bulatova Str., Kaliningrad (the benchmark – “Kaliningrad” sign at the entrance to the city on Svetlogorsky highway), RussiaOpening hours: October – April: 10.00 – 18.00, May – September: 10.00 – 20.00 Contacts: +7 (4012) 453844; www.westrussia.org; the museum’s site about veterans of the East Prussian operation in the year 1945: www.veteranalbum.ru