exportera bg

Places to Visit

The Castle (the Central Square). 

In Russian: smotrovaya ploschadka "Korolevskiy zamok".

The annalistic history of our city began at the time of the Crusade of the European knights to the lands of the Prussians. The troops were led by the King Ottokar II. Being 25 years old, he was considered to be a very experienced and invincible commander. The most sufficient result of the Crusade (December 1254 – January 1255) was the emplacement of the castle location. In honour of Ottokar who contributed much to the construction, the Castle was named “Koenigsberg”. Ottokar became a patron of the Castle and the city as well, later on his crown appeared in the cities’ coats of arms.

By that time on the high right bank of the river, on the place where later the Castle was built, there was a Prussian settlement Tvangste (the mountain and the holy wood had this name too) which controlled the trading way along the River Pregolya.

Nowadays the archaeological dig is being held in the place where the Castle used to be. There is a sighting area for visitors and the exposition dedicated to the history of the Castle, some interesting findings are exhibited (for example the remains of the wooden water pipe).

During many centuries the Castle was not only the main symbol of the city but also the heart of Koenigsberg. Since 1457 the Castle had been the residence of the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, at that time it was the residence of the Duke of Prussia and on the 18th of January 1701 the coronation of the first Prussian King Friedrich I was held there.

In the XVI century (during the Duke Albrecht reign) the receptions in honour of the first Russian Ambassadors were given. As a memory of their visits the premises those receptions were organised in were named “The Muscovite Palace”. Another place in the Castle - “The Muscovite Hall” proved to be one more evidence of the respect for Muscovite Russia. This is a large gala hall (83 meters long and 17 meters wide), which is unique for the castle architecture of the end of the XVI century. In the early XX century the Castle was used as a museum, the collection of guns, flags and military trophy was placed there.

The Castle was famous for its rich art collection consisting of the pictures of the European artists, collection of pieces of silver and proclaim and archaeological findings. The famous “Amber room”, which mysteriously disappeared, was last exhibited to the public in the Castle.

The “Blutgericht” (the Doomsday) restaurant, located in the basement of the castle was the favourite meeting place of the students and travellers. It was situated in the oldest part of the Northern outhouse and was famous for red wine resembling blood. This is why the restaurant was named like that. Though many legends ran in Koenigsberg... In the dark, mysterious halls, under the massive vaults the oaken tables and wine fudders were located along the walls. In this long–centuries invariability and monumentality time seemed to stand still and the past - to be more real than the present.

In August 1944 during World War II Koenigsberg suffered heavy damage from the British bombing attacks. The old city and lots of relics of the past were burned down. The Castle also was heavily damaged. And the ruins of the Castle were exploded in the 70s of the last century.

Nowadays the archaeological dig is being held in the place where the Castle used to be. In 2010 the archeological site of the Castle was open to visit. There is a sighting area for visitors and the exposition dedicated to the history of the Castle, some interesting findings are exhibited. It includes several thematic exhibitions: Knights’ armors, ladies’ toilets, attributes for divination, pavilions for archery and crossbow, streets of craftsmen, playgrounds, interactive archaeological site.

How to find: Shevchenko Str., 2 (central area by the House of Soviets), Kaliningrad

Opening hours of the archeological site of the Castle: 10.00 – 18.00

Contacts: +7 (4012) 453844, museum_2006@mail.ru, www.westrussia.org

 

Glappberg.

There is one more mountain to the West of the Castle. This is a Glappberg mountain. In the Middle Ages is was considered to be the meeting place for the evil spirits. That is why the witches of Koenigsberg used to settle down there. Later on this district of the city preserved such reputation. The name of the mountain originated from the name of the Prussian leader who headed one of the rebellions. The member of his family owned lands and the settlement on this mountain. When the rebellion was put down the knights executed Gallape and his supporters in that very place. But the spirits of the Prussians did not want to leave their land and still they exist in the depths of the mountain.

How to find: the area of Copernicus Street, Kaliningrad

 

Lower Pond (the Castle Lake).

In Russian: Nizhniy prud.

When the Castle was destroyed the Lake got its second name – the Nizhniy Pond (the Lower Pond). In the past there was a brook running to the East of the Castle. It was called Lebebach, later – Katzbach (Cat’s brook) as even a cat could cross it and still had its pads dry. Despite the stream was strong enough for installing a mill. In 1256 the brook was partitioned off and a Pond was created there. Thus, it was called the Mill pond. Since the early XVIII century it started to attract the citizens’ attention as a pleasure resort. That time the first landscape architecture ensembles appeared there.

In the XX century the Pond became one of the most frequently visited places of the city. Numerous gardens, coffee houses, promenades and concert areas were situated round it. In summer the Pond was full of the sliding gondolas and in winter it became a large skating rink. Nowadays the Nizhniy Pond (the Lower Pond) is one of the favourite places in the city both for citizens and for visitors. The owners of the pond such as majestic swans, fussy ducks and loud gulls are constantly make the visitors smile and contribute to creation of the special atmosphere in this calm part of the noisy city.

How to find: Proletarskaya Street, Kaliningrad

 

Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art (Stadhalle). 

In Russian: Kaliningradskiy oblastnoy istoriko-hudozhestvenniy musey. 

On the eastern bank of the Nizhnij pond the building attracting the attention by its interesting architecture is the Regional Museum of History and Art. These premises, built in 1912 and designed by the architect Richard Seel, used to be a cinema and a concert hall. In 1944 it was destroyed by the British Air Forces and restored in 1981-1986.

One of the streets on the eastern bank of the pond was called the “French Street”. In XVII century the French Protestants, escaping form the catholic prosecution, settled down here. In the building № 25 in this street the famous author of the fairy tales, one of the founders of Romanism Ernst Theodore Hoffmann was born. At the present moment there is a monumental stone hereabouts to that place. Ernst Theodore Hoffmann spent only the first years of his life in his father’s house. Soon his parents divorced and the boy with his mother moved to his grandmother’s place (Post Street), which was situated between the Castle and the abovementioned Glappberg mountain. Obviously many works of the writer had been inspired by his Koenigsberg impressions and experience.

And the famous cat Murr (the character of the novel “Worldly wisdom of the cat Murr”) can be easily considered as one of the symbols of our city. Hoffmann was a student of the law faculty of the Koenigsberg University and attended the lectures by the famous professor I. Kant. The law faculty used to be situated in the first University building near the Cathedral. At the age of 21, suffering from the unrequited love, Hoffmann left his native city.

To the East of the castle and to the South of the pond a Medieval city Loebenicht used to be. The name originated from the name of the brook, which was later transformed into the pond.

Craftspeople lived there. During the archaeological dig in the area where a petrol station is situated now (i.e. at the foot of the mountain) many interesting things were found including the remains of the shoemaker workshop, which was damaged during the fire several centuries ago. Even unfinished leather shoes were found there.

All the findings are kept in the Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art.

How to find: Klinicheskaya Str., 21, Kaliningrad

Opening hours: 10.00 – 18.00 (ticket window: 10.00 – 17.00)

Contacts: +7 (4012) 453844, museum_2006@mail.ru, www.westrussia.org, www.veteranalbum.ru, www.65.my1.ru

 

The Wood bridge. 

In Russian: drovyanoy most.

Sometimes, by mistake, it is called Wooden, it was built in the early XX century (initially it appeared in 1404). For a long time wood stores were situated in the island. That is why it is called like this. The forged gratings of the bridge are worthy of special attention. They are original. Examining them more attentively you can see the coats of arms of Kneiphof.

How to find: road crossing Oktyabrskaya street and Moskovskiy avenue, Kaliningrad

 

The Holly Cross Temple (Kreuzkirche). 

In Russian: Krestovozdvizhenskiy sobor.

It was built in 1933 by Artur Kikton’s project . The main attaction of this church (temple) is a unique amber iconostasis. The unusual appearance of the main front deserves more attention –it is a mosaic with the image of cross. In the 90s of XX cent it was restored and nowadays it functions as an Orthodox church (the Church of Raising of the Cross).

How to find: Gen.Pavlova Str., 2, Kaliningrad

Contacts: +7 (4012) 516541


The Oktyabrsky island (Lomse island). 

In Russian: Oktyabrskiy ostrov.

The ancient trade way to Lithuania and Poland crossed the island. Nevertheless because of the damp soil this area was sparsely inhabited, the houses were built here later than in all other districts, mostly in the XX century.

The street we are walking along now was called “Linden street”. It could lead to Willow street (today Oktyabrskaya street), reminding us the outstanding German artist Kathe Koelviz. Here in the building № 6 she was born and spent the first years of her life.

In the XVII century in the Southern part of the island, near the house of K. Koelviz, there was the renowned “Pumpkin hut” owned by the famous composer Henrich Albrecht, who was an organist of the Cathedral. It was the most favourite meeting place of poets and musicians. In this area Henrich Albrecht cultivated pumpkins. His friends carved their names and the names of their beloveds on the pumpkins and then they watched whose pumpkin would grow more rapidly. The result of such friendly meetings was the famous song “Aenchen from Tarau”(1633) music by Henrich Albrecht and words by Simon Dach.

One more interesting experiment is connected with this island. In 1742 by order of the King Friedrich II in the Lomse the mulberry plantation was laid. In 1750 it gave 20 pounds of raw silk. But the winter of 1771 was a severe one and all the mulberry trees were destroyed by frost. The plantation has never been restored. Nowadays the business and tourism centre “The Fish Village” was built along the western bank of the island. The architecture of the buildings there imitates the historical styles of the pre-war city image.

How to find: Oktyaborskaya Str., 2 - 8, Kaliningrad

 

The Honey Bridge. 

In Russian: Medoviy most.

The Oktyabrsky island (Lomse island) is connected to the I. Kant island with the Honey bridge (first it was built in 1542, the bridge existing nowadays was built in 1882). The name is associated with an old story of bribery of the Kneiphof civil Councillors with several barrels of honey.

How to find: road crossing Oktyabrskaya street and I. Kant street, Kaliningrad

 

The Immanuel Kant island (Kneiphof). 

In Russian: ostrov Immanuila Kanta.

Among 3 old Koenigsberg settlements Kneiphof was the richest and the most beautiful one. It consisted of 2 parts: the trading one – in the West and the Cathedral one – in the East. The Kneiphofishe Langgasse, which stretched from the Green bridge to the Store bridge, was considered to be the centre of the trading activities. Now its location is defined by the elevated bridge. It was the place where the richest bankers and merchants used to live. That is the reason why the street captivated everyone with its elegancy.

How to find:  I. Kant street, Kaliningrad

 

The Cathedral. 

In Russian: Kafedralniy sobor.

In 1330 the bishop Jogann Klare laid the Cathedral which was initially planned as a fortification. In case of conflict with the Teutonic Order this fortification could resist the Castle troops. Having noticed the superfluous strength walls the Grandmaster of the Order asked the bishop for the document which could serve as a guarantee that the Cathedral would not have military devices. Only after these preconscious measures had been taken the permission on the building of the Cathedral was issued. Since then the 13th of September 1333 is considered the date of the Cathedral foundation. For that time it was a very rapid process – it took only 50 years. It is dedicated the Sacred Christ's Body, Maiden Maria, All Saints and St. Adalbert. The Cathedral, which is a basilica with 3 naves, is a very traditional one for the Order construction of that time. It is 101 meters long, 36 meters wide and 58 meters high (including the tower).

The Cathedral used to be the centre for social life and at the same time the burial vault for prominent residents of the city. 6 grandmasters of the Teutonic order and the first Duke of Prussia Albrecht von Brandenburg together with his spouse Doroteya slumber here. The remnants of their tomb have survived. The professor’s crypt appeared at the northern wall of the Cathedral in the XVI century.

The Cathedral was severely damaged as a result of the bombardment launched by the British aviation on the night of the 29-30th of August 1944. The vaults collapsed, the altar was destroyed, the pulpit, baptismal chapel and tomb completely burned.

In 1989 the ruins of the Cathedral were inscribed on the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage List. This moment marked the beginning of the revival of the Cathedral. Today the Cathedral houses the museum expositions devoted to its history and the history of the Kneiphof island-town as well as the life, works of I. Kant, Evangelical and Orthodox chapels and a concert hall.

The Cathedral is considered to be one of the symbols of contemporary Kaliningrad.

How to find: I. Kanta Str., 1, Kaliningrad

Opening hours: 10.00 - 17.00 (ticket window: 10.00 – 16.30)

Contacts: + 7 (4012) 631705, ksobor@baltnet.ru, www.sobor-kaliningrad.ru

 

The burial vault of Immanuel Kant. 

In Russian: usipalniza Immanuila Kanta.

One of the greatest thinkers of mankind Immanuel Kant was born on April, 22, 1724 in the capital ob East Prussia in Koenigsberg (nowadays Kaliningrad). The burial vault of Immanuel Kant is also situated in the Cathedral. The current tomb is the work the remarkable Koenigsberg architect, professor Friedrich Lars. It was erected in 1924 to mark the 200th anniversary of the philosopher’s day of birth.

How to find: the I. Kant island, the north-west corner of the Cathedral, Kaliningrad

 

Monument to Duke Albrecht. 

In Russian: Pamyatnik gerzogu Albrehtu.

Albrecht von Brandenburg (8 July 1490 – 20 March 1568) was the 37th Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights and after the first Duke of Prussia. Albrecht together with his spouse Doroteya was buried in the Cathedral (still preserved fragments of gravestones). The first University building (1544), which was named «Albertina» after its founder Duke of Albrecht, was situated in the north-west of the Cathedral. Nowadays this site is marked by the monument to Duke Albrecht. It is the reconstruction of the I. F. Roish’s sculpture, which was earlier located near the Castle.

How to find: the I. Kant island, the north-west corner of the Cathedral, Kaliningrad

 

The regional centre of youth culture (former Stock exchange). 

In Russian: Oblastnoy zentr kultury molodezhi.

The building was erected in 1870-1875 in the neo-Renaissance style by the architect Henrich Müller from Bremen. It is interesting that the year before he erected the similar stock exchange in his native town. The only difference was that it was designed in the neo-Gothic style. The construction rests upon 2.200 wooden piles which are of 12-18 meters in length. Sandstone of drab colour resembling the colour of amber, which is the major natural resource of the region, was used in the construction.

The sculptures of the stone lions adorning the front staircase were created by the famous Berlin sculptor, a Koenigsberg born Emil Hundriser (1846-1911). He was also the author of the sculpture and allegoric groups symbolizing the parts of the world (Europe, Asia, America and Africa) which once marked the corners of the roof but haven’t survived to date. The building was constructed not only as the centre for business activities but also as the place for recreation. Balls and concerts were organized in the Stock exchange’s hall. Robert Schuman and Anton Rubinstein performed here.

How to find: Leninskiy avenue, 83, Kaliningrad

 

University. 

In russian: Baltiyskiy Federalniy Universitet imeni Immanuila Kanta.

The Baltic Federal University named after Immanuel Kant. The first stone laid the foundation of this building during the 300th anniversary of the University of Koenigsberg celebrated in August 1844. However, the construction was delayed due some reasons. The opening took place on the 20th of July 1862. The Royal architect F.A. Stüller created this magnificent construction in the Italian Renaissance style. It was possible to view the University as the city sight from 12 a.m. till 4 p.m. The main frames of the building, devoid of any embellishments, remained to date. The building was expanded due to the construction of the annexe (architect R. Libental), which has not been virtually altered.

How to find: Universitetskaya Str., 2, Kaliningrad

 

Statue of Immanuel Kant. 

In russian: pamyatnik Immanuilu Kantu.

This work of Christian Daniel Rauch (1777-1857) has an extraordinary fate. The statue was sculpted in Berlin in 1857 but there was no money to undertake further actions. It became possible to erect the statue near the philosopher’s house only in 1864. Yet in 1885 due to the street redevelopment it was transferred to the Front Square of the University building. The sculpture was removed to the Doenhoff estate before the storming of the city in 1945.

After the war the pedestal was used to erect the statue of Ernst Thaelmann. When Kaliningrad became an open city, the statue was restored by the sculptor H. Haack according to the author's copy of the reduced size which had survived. It became possible only through the efforts of Marion Doenhoff, a publisher of «Die Zeit» newspaper. Later the statue returned to the University building.

How to find: Universitetskaya Str., 2, Kaliningrad

 

Wrangel Tower and Dohna Tower. 

In russian: Bashnya "Vrangel", bashnya "Dona".

Built in 1852-1853. Bear the name of the Feld-Marshal Wrangel, participant of the Napoleonic Wars and brothers Ludwig and Alexander Dohna, organizers of opolchenie (militia).

Two towers were destined to conduct flanking bombardment of the enemies. They reflect each other according to their planning. At present the Dohna Tower houses the unique Amber museum.

How to find: Wrangel Tower is located at Professor Baranov Str., 2A; Dohna Tower is located at Marshal Vasilevsky Square, 1, Kaliningrad

Opening hours of the Amber museum: October – April: 10.00 – 18.00, May – September: 10.00 – 19.00

Closed: Monday

Contacts: +7 (4012) 466888, +7 (4012) 466377, info@ambermuseum.ru, www.ambermuseum.ru

 

Rossgarten gates. 

In Russian: Rossgartenskie vorota.

Built in 1852-1855. Bear the name of a former Rossgarten district (“Horse garden”), which was located there. The gates preserved all elements of the complex including the courtyard, ditch, bridge and bridge installations. The heroes of the liberation war against Napoleon General Scharhorst and Gneisenau are immortalized in high relief portrait medallions which adorn the gates from the side of the city. The gates are situated along the way which was used by the cart conveying the Amber cabinet granted to the Russian tsar Peter I by the Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm I. Now it is a restaurant.

How to find: Marshal Vasilevsky Square, 1, Kaliningrad

 

The Lithuanian rampant. 

In russian: Litovskiy val.

It is the preserved part of the fortifications, which bear the name of an ancient defense line protecting the city from the Lithuanian attacks.

How to find: Litovskiy val, Kaliningrad

 

The defence barracks “Kronprinz”. 

In Russian: Oboronitelnaya kazarma "Kronprinz".

They were erected in 1843-1849 according to the project of the group of engineers and architects headed by the Lieutenant-General Ernst Ludwig von Aster (1778-1885). The barracks were designed for the first royal grenadier regiment, which was the most privileged regiment in the city. It was disbanded after World War I and the barracks housed the Koenigsberg police, warehouses and various city services. Today a part of the construction, namely the tower-redan Kronprinz, has been granted to the State Centre of Modern art. A unique museum, exhibition, science and informational complex of contemporary culture will soon appear in our city.

How to find: Litovskiy val, Kaliningrad

 

The King’s Gates. 

In Russian: Korolevskie vorota.

Built on the former site of the gates in 1843-1850. Named after the solemn royal equipages setting off to the military parades at the suburban parade-ground called Devau (at present – a sport airfield). The sculptures under the portal adorn the gates. These are the figures of the founder of the city King Ottokar II, the first Prussian King Friedrich I and the first Duke of Prussia Albrecht Brandenburg (from the left to the right). The gates underwent a restoration in 2005. Nowadays the gates house the Historical and cultural centre “The Grand Embassy”.

How to find: Frunze Str., 112, Kaliningrad

Opening hours of the Historical and cultural centre “The Grand Embassy”: 11.00 – 19.00 (ticket window: 11.00 – 18.30)

Closed: Monday, Tuesday

Contacts: +7 (4012) 581272, ocean–museum@kanet.ru, http://world-ocean.ru

 

Sackheim gates. 

In Russian: Zakhaimskie vorota.

Named after the place of location in the district of Sackheim (a backpack).

How to find: Litovskiy val, 59-61, Kaliningrad

 

Friedland Gate. 

In Russian: Fridlandskie vorota.

Time of construction – 1857-1862. The gates are named after the city of Friedland (contemporary Pravdinsk) in which direction the road passed. The erection of these gates put an end to the construction of the second rampart fortifications. These are the widest of all city gates. The courtyard and complex of bridge fortifications have been preserved. The gates are embellished with the sculptural images of Friedrich von Zollern, Marshal of the Teutonic order (from the side of the city) and Siegfried von Feuchtvangen, Grandmaster of the Teutonic order (from the side of the field).

The gates house the city museum, which is devoted to the life of city residents (end of the XIX – beginning of the XX centuries). It also exhibits the collection of World War II shooting arms.

How to find: Dzerzhinskogo Str., 30, Kaliningrad

Opening hours of the Museum “Friedland Gate”: 10.00 – 18.00 (ticket window: 11.00 – 17.30)

Contacts: +7 (4012) 644020, friedlander_tor@mail.ru, fgmuseum@gmail.com, www.fvmuseum.ru

 

Haberberg ravelin. 

In Russian: Haberbergskiy val.

It is the city rampart and ditch, the part of the second rampart fortifications which has been preserved as an element of the landscape park. It bears the name of the Haberberg district (“Oaten hill”) served as the site of city defence.

How to find: Kalinina street, Kaliningrad

 

The South railway station. 

In Russian: Yuzhniy vokzal.

It was built in 1929 in the functionalist style by the Berlin architects headed by Mr. Cornelius. The building is reveted with dark clinker brick of high quality. The main embellishment of the central façade is a wide lancet window divided by vertical columns. Initially, the sculptural composition depicting Chronos, the God of Time, who was trying to hold two hot horses (allegory of speed) by H. Brachert accomplished the complex of embellishments. Today it is replaced by the State emblem of the Russian Federation. The platforms, which are lying 6 meters higher than the street level, are overlapped by a three-bay glazed steel construction. The area of the glass cover initially constituted 10 thousand square meters.

How to find: Zheleznodorozhnaya Str., 13/23, Kaliningrad

 

The Kaliningrad railway history museum. 

In Russian: Muzey istoriy kaliningradskoy zheleznoy dorogy.

It is situated to the left (if You stand in front of the railway station). The two steam engines dating back to the middle of the last century are the major exhibits of the museum.

How to find: Zheleznodorozhnaya Str., 13/23, Kaliningrad

 

Brandenburg gates. 

In Russian: Brandenburgskie vorota.

Built approximately in 1860. These are the only gates which are still used for driving through them. The elector Friedrich III entered the city along this road in order to become the King Friedrich I. The bust of the General Hermann von Boyen (1771-1848) who was the organizer of the military reforms and Prussian Minister of War adorns the left medallion from the side of the city. The bust of the General Ludwig von Aster (1778-1855) who was one of the authors of the Koenigsberg fortification system adorns the right medallion.

How to find: Bagrationa Str., 137, Kaliningrad (near the South railway station)

 

Ausfall Gates. 

In Russian: Ausfalskie vorota.

Ceased to be the gates (an embankment was made above them) in connection with the road replanning at the beginning of the XX century. At present the gates are located under the St. George’s chapel.

How to find: at the junction of Gornaya street and Gvardeiskiy avenues, Kaliningrad

 

The astronomical bastion. 

In Russian: bastion Astronomicheskiy.

It was built in 1855-1860. Named after its location near the Astronomic hill where a famous observatory built in 1811-1813 according to the project of F. Bessel was situated. His grave is still preserved on this hill.

How to find: at the junction of Gornaya street and Gvardeiskiy avenues, Kaliningrad

 

Museum “Blindage” (Universitetskaya street). 

In Russian: Muzey "Blindazh".

“Blindage” is situated behind the hotel “Kaliningrad”, in front of the building of Baltic Federal University of Russia named after I. Kant. During the storming the blindage housed the headquarters of the Koenigsberg garrison headed by the fortress’s commandant General Otto Lasch. On the 9th of April 1945 the capitulation of German garrison was accepted there.

The bunker was built in February 1945. This is a single-floor underground concrete bombproof shelter which is 7 meters deep, 42 meters long, 15 meters wide and consists of 21 rooms. The building is supplied with electricity, communication, water supply, sewage and air transmission systems. The thickness of the outer wall constitutes 70-80 cm, the inside wall – 42 cm. The building is protected by the layer of concrete, damp course and acoustic insulation. At present it is the branch of the Regional historical and art museum which houses the exposition dedicated to the storming of Koenigsberg. The set of some rooms has been preserved.

How to find: Universitetskaya Str., 2 a, Kaliningrad

Opening hours: 10.00 – 17.00

Contacts: +7 (4012) 536593, museum_2006@mail.ru, www.westrussia.org

 

The Monument to the USSR Marshal Aleksandr Mikhailovich Vasilevsky. 

In Russian: pamyatnik marshalu Sovetskogo Soyuza Aleksandru Mikhailovichu Vasilevskomu.

It was opened in 2000 on the Square which bears his name. It is the monument devoted to the outstanding Soviet commander. Under the command of A.M. Vasilevsky the troops of the 3d Belarus battlefront seized the city-fortress of Koenigsberg in April 1945. The monument was created by the sculptor S. P. Dronov and architect Y.A. Vasilevsky (the son of the Commander).

How to find: Marshal Vasilevsky square, Kaliningrad

 

Monument “To Heroes-tankmen”. 

In Russian: pamyatnik geroyam-tankistam.

The military tank is installed at the junction of Marshal Rokossovsky and General Sommer streets. The military tank, this fighting machine is a symbol of the feat performed by the tankmen during the East Prussian operation. It was erected according to the design of S.P. Miroshnichenko.

How to find: at the junction of Marshal Rokossovsky and General Sommer streets, Kaliningrad

 

The Monument “To Heroes-sailors”. 

In Russian: pamyatnik moryakam-baltiyzam.

It seems as if the motor torpedo boat has become stock-still on the pedestal, having leapt out of the waves in a sweeping rush of attack. It was erected according to the design of the sculptor V.V. Morgunov and architect M.T. Suslov. The monument was opened on the 7th of November 1978.

How to find: Moskovsky avenue near the embankment of the Priegel river, Kaliningrad

 

The monument to “the Pilots of the Baltics”. 

In Russian: monument "Letchikam Baltiki".

It installed in memory of 682 pilots killed by waters of the Baltic Sea. A 6-meter airplane-arrow looks light and swift against the background of the skyline. It is taking off the platform-pedestal appearing out of a glassy surface of the water basin. The monument was erected according to the design of V.M. Borisov, A.I. Garanina and M.T. Suslov and opened on the 2d of November 1974.

How to find: Sovetsky avenue, 68, Kaliningrad

 

Fort №5 “The King Friderich Wilgelm”. 

In Russian: Fort №5 "Korol Fridrih Wilgelm".

It is one of the 15 forts, created at the end of the 19th century, that constituted the first position of the Koenigsberg fortifications established in the 1930s.

The forts were linked by the roads and fire connection with each other. They were also planned for launching independent permanent operation. The tank ditches filled with water, minefields, obstacles, wire entanglements and trench lines were stretching in front of the fort line. Fort №5 represents a 215-meter long and 105-meter wide prolate hexagon. It had 6-meter thick overlappings made of brick, sand and concrete, an earth levee system with trenches and fire positions for weapons as well as a 21-meter wide and 4.5-metes deep ditch filled with water. There were a lot of trees and bushes planted around the fort to camouflage it against attacks. The main entrance was protected by a powerful pillbox. The inner fort premises led to the central gallery. The barracks were situated at the rear side. Eight 75 mm pieces of ordnance, 50 mortars of various calibre were based in the fort. During the storming of the fort the Soviet soldiers and officers displayed outstanding courage and heroism. 15 soldiers were conferred the title of The Hero of the Soviet Union.

It has become a tradition to carry out the reconstruction of the 1945-year battles with the participation of different military and historical clubs to commemorate the memorable days of the storming.

How to find: at the exit from Kaliningrad along Sovetsky avenue towards Svetlogorsk, Kaliningrad

 

The building of the city administration. 

In Russian: Zdanie gorodskoy administraziy.

It was erected in 1923 by the architect H. Hopp as the Trade yard. It had been used as a residence of the city administration since 1927. The building was restored in the 1950s. It subsequently led to the modification of its style. On the whole, the building took on a lighter form. At present it houses the City Hall, City Council of Deputies and Election committee.

How to find: Pobedy square, 1, Kaliningrad

 

Christ the Savior Cathedral. 

In Russian: Kafedralniy sobor Hrista Spasitelya.

The appearance of the Orthodox Church in the center of the westernmost regional capital marked the significant event not only in the spiritual but also in the cultural and political life of the region. The construction started in 1996 with the laying of the capsule, which contained the soil taken from the foundation of the Moscow Christ the Savior Cathedral. The consecration ceremony took place during the visit of Alexis II Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia and Russian President V. Putin during the celebrations dedicated to the 60th anniversary of the Kaliningrad region.

How to find: Pobedy square, 2, Kaliningrad

 

Kaliningrad business center. 

In Russian: Kaliningradskiy delovoy zentr.

A former Northern railway station, was erected in 1930 by architects Scheff and Stallmann. The building has been very well preserved. The monumental facade laid out by the 4-storeyed columns accomplished the setting of the Square at the time of its construction. Recently a new annex (trade center "Passage") has been added to the building. D. Navalihin's project, which dates back to 1958, envisaged the construction of a turret resembling the turrets of the Moscow Kremlin.

How to find: Pobedy square, 4, Kaliningrad

  

Kaliningrad State Technical University (Building of the Supreme Land and administrative court). 

In Russian: Kaliningradskiy gosudarstvenniy tekhnicheskiy universitet.

This is the complex of buildings erected in 1913-1931 according to the project of the group of architects from Berlin. The additional building, the main façade of which faces the square, was constructed in 1929-1931. It conforms to the pragmatic style of the late 1920s. The round corners of the building noticeably soften a majestic silhouette.

The main building, which was erected in 1913-1917, is designed in the new Baroque style and resembles the European palaces of the XVIII century. The embellishments of an impressive portal and cornice were developed by Hermann Thiele in 1914.

How to find:  Sovetsky avenue, 1, Kaliningrad

 

Sculptural group “Fighting wisents” (“Bulls” in common parlance). 

In Russian: skulpturnaya gruppa "Boryutshiesa zubry".

The author is the Berlin sculptor-animalist August Gaul (1869-1921). The vigorous animals are depicted at the moment of resistance. The sculpture symbolizes the struggle between a prosecutor and a barrister (prosecution and defence) in a legal trial. It was erected in 1912.


Statue to Peter the Great. 

In Russian: pamyatnik Petru I.

The sculpture created by L. Kerbel was erected to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Baltic Fleet.

 

Institute of Oceanology (House of radio). 

In Russian: Institut Okeanologiy.

The building was erected in 1930 by either Robert Liebental who was a native of Tilsit (contemporary Sovetsk) or Hans Hopp. It is considered to be a dignified embodiment of pragmatic ideas of Bauhaus.

 

Regional universal scientific library. 

In Russian: Oblastnaya universalnaya nauchnaya biblioteka.

Former State archives). The building was erected in 1930 by the architect Robert Liebental in the Bauhaus style: simple and explicit forms, absence of decorative elements and extensive use of advanced industrial technologies. The beauty of this building rests upon a harmonious interplay of wide glass and narrow plastered surfaces: the frame made of steel and concrete overlappings is cut through by the solid horizontal belts of glass cover.

 

Kaliningrad Regional Drama Theatre. 

In Russian: Kaliningradskiy Oblastnoy Dramaticheskiy Teatr.

The building was erected in 1911-1912 as the theatre of Louise by the architect Walter Kuckuck. It had been rebuilt for several times. The theater was severely damaged during the war. In 1960 it was rebuilt by the construction department of the Baltic Fleet (project leader: Mr. Kuchtenkov) in the Russian neo-Classicism style according to the project of the Moscow architect Mr. Atanov.

 

Statue of F. Shiller. 

In Russian: pamyatnik F.Shilleru.

It is situated opposite to drama theatre. Statue of F. Shiller (bronze, 1910). The author is Stanislaus Kauer. The statue stands in front of the theatre since 1936.

 

Hotel “Moscow” (Moskva) (former “Nordstern” insurance company). 

In Russian: gostiniza "Moskva".

The building was erected in 1936 by the architects Siegfried Sassnick, a native of Koenigsberg, and Bruno Leiding. It is worth paying attention to the splendid brickwork and the Berlin and Danzig’s (Gdansk) coat of arms bricked on the central facade.

 

Zoo. 

In Russian: Zoopark.

The “Zoo” association was founded in 1895. Through the efforts of the professor of Albertina Maximilian Brown a menagerie was opened in 1896. At the beginning of the XX century the Zoo was considered to be the best in Europe. The sculptor Walter Rosenberg created a unique bronze composition: a child feeding a lioness and two lion cubs. This memorial was unveiled in the central alley to commemorate the first director of the Zoo Herman Klaas.

After the end of the Great Patriotic War there were only 4 “inhabitants” of the Zoo: a badger, a fallow-deer, a donkey and a hippopotamus. An extraordinary story of nursing a wounded hippopotamus by the regimental medical assistant marked the revival of the Zoo. The hippopotamus became its emblem. Today the Zoo is proud not only of its animal collection but also of the unique plants. It is worth paying attention to the rare relic ginkgo tree which grows at the entrance.

Besides the animals, most of which are kept in open enclosures, the Zoo boasts a collection of rare plants. The average age of trees is 90-120 years. Landscape zones are cleverly designed. The city fountain plays in summer. The following park sculptural monuments have been preserved: a monument to Herman Klaas, the first director and one of the founders of the Zoo (1913, bronze, author V. Rosenberg), a sculpture of an “Orangutan” created by the animalist A. Steiner of pink porphyry, a girl with a small deer created by the unknown author (terracotta, glaze).

 

“Zarya” (Sunrise) cinema. 

In Russian: kinoteatr "Zarya".

The building was erected in 1910-1914 by the architect S. Sassnick. It was called “Scala”. Nowadays it still continues to be regarded one of the best cinemas in the city.

 

Memorial “To Countrymen-cosmonauts”. 

In Russian: pamyatniy znak "Zemlyakam-kosmonavtam".

It was erected to commemorate A. Leonov, V. Pazaev and Y. Romanenko by the sculptor B. Edunov, who were born in Kaliningrad. Our countryman A. Viktorenko went into space after the monument had been erected. Therefore, there is no bas-relief devoted to him. The trees planted by the cosmonauts are growing in the park near the monument.

 

Kaliningrad Regional Puppet Theatre (Church “To the memory of Queen Louise”). 

In Russian: Kaliningradskiy Oblastnoy Kukolniy Teatr.

The church was devoted to the Prussian Queen Louise Augusta Wilhelmina Amelia (1776-1810) who was exceptionally honoured for the outstanding personal qualities. Due to her self-sacrificing behavior during the conclusion of the Tilsit peace as well as her further activities as the inspirer of resistance and introduction of reforms, she was considered the patroness of Prussia. During the stay of her royal family in 1808-1809 the Opera Theater (didn’t survive up to date) and the first school for women were erected on her initiative.

The consecration ceremony took place on the 18th of January 1901. The imperial couple and the members of the German government were present during the celebrations. The building underwent a restoration and was reconstructed into the Puppet theatre under the direction of Y. Vaganov in 1976.

 

House Painters. In Russian: Dom Hudozhnikov.

(Karl Albrecht’s shelter for the poor). 

Union of Artists with the exhibition hall. The building was erected in 1900. The Kaliningrad branch of the union of artists was founded in 1950. At present two exhibition halls function where you can see and buy paintings by members of Union of Artists.

How to find: Pobedy avenue, 3, Kaliningrad, Russia

Contacts: +7 (4012) 213451, 210562


The “Yuzny” park.

It stretches along Kalinin avenue and has an area of 60 ha. This is the largest landscape park in the city. It was laid out in the 1910s in the southern part of the city rampart fortifications and the adjacent territory. A vast network of artificial and natural lakes is a habitat for several waterfowl species. Contemplation of water-lilies and spatterdocks in the vicinity of splendid brickwork of ancient fortifications adds a special charm to the park.

 

The Central Park of culture and rest. 

In Russian: Tzentralniy park.

It is situated in Mir avenue and connected with the name of the Queen Louise. It was a former “Louisenwahl” park where the Queen liked to take a leisure stroll. The church (1899-1901) named after the Queen Louise was re-constructed and became a Puppet theatre. The remains of a semi-rotunda together with the bench, a socle of the monument and a linden devoted to the Queen have been preserved. A picturesque brook with exquisite footbridges located in the shadow of ancient trees is a beautiful place for taking summer strolls. The park has been granted a modern covered stage on the Singing field, new merry-go-rounds, a monument to V. Visotskiy who gave his last concert in our city as well as an original and interactive monument devoted to the restless Baron Munchausen.

 

The Youth park. 

In Russian: park Yunost.

It is located on Thaelmann street. It is an ancient landscape park situated on the bank of the Upper lake. There are playgrounds with merry-go-rounds as well as the covered skating rink with artificial ice functioning in the park.

 

The park of sculpture.

It is located near the Cathedral. Besides a unique collection of sculptures, it has a magnificent collection of rare trees and bushes.

 

The Victory park. 

In Russian: park Pobedy.

It is situated behind the memorial complex “To 1200 warrior guards” (Gvardeisky avenue). It was opened to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the victory. The artillery units of World War II are exhibited in the park.

 

The Botanical garden. 

In Russian: Botanicheskiy sad.

It contains one of the richest collections of plant species in Russia (more than 3 thousand). Many of them are inscribed on the Red book. There is a unique flora representing another climatic zones and continents, such as tulip-tree, several types of magnolia, Engelmann spruce and tree peony. The Botanical garden traces its history from the early spring to the late autumn back to 1904.

 

Park of the Ecological and Biological centre for students. 

In Russian: park Ekologo-biologicheskogo zentra uchatshihsa.

This landscape dendropark has a long history. It has been known from the XVIII century as a private estate with a park. The park belonged to I. Sheffner who was a friend of I. Kant. In 1809 the King granted this estate to the University as the Botanical garden. A.F. Schweigger (1783 – 1823) was appointed its first director, later – Ernst Mayer, a friend of W. Goethe. A large group of ancient trees, which still bear memories of its foundation and I. Kant taking a stroll here, grows in the middle of the garden.

In the effort to emphasize the international significance of the city as well as its achievements in cooperation with other European cities, the Kaliningrad City Hall has realized the idea of establishing the “vest-pocket parks of friendship” to mark the 750th anniversary of the city. The Holland, Lithuanian, German and Sweden vest-pocket parks have appeared as a result of joint work with our partner-cities.

Public garden of friendship with the Lithuanian cities (at the junction of Pobedy avenue, Kashtanovaya street and Admiralskaya street) is adorned by the sculpture of Liudvikas Reza (1779-1840), a Lithuanian enlightener, graduate, professor and rector of the Koenigsberg University (sculptor A. Sakalauskas).

Public garden of friendship with the German cities (Rotko street) is an excellent place for taking strolls with children of any age. It is provided with the equipment for taking active rest.

Public garden of friendship with the Holland cities (Kutuzov street) is adorned by architectural ladscape elements and traditional Holland flowers.

Public garden of friendship with the Swedish cities in situated at the Zoo. It is adorned by the coat of arms of Halmstad and heraldic plants of all counties from the Kingdom of Sweden.

The Castle (the Central Square)

 

The “Blutgericht” (the Doomsday) restaurant, located in the basement of the castle

 

Shlosstaich (the Castle Lake).

Shlosstaich (the Castle Lake).



Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art (Stadhalle).

 

Kaliningrad Stadhalle

Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art (Stadhalle).

The Church of the Cross (Kreuz Church). The Church of the Cross (Kreuz Church).

 

The Oktyabrsky island (Lomse island).

 
The Oktyabrsky island (Lomse island).


The Cathedral.


The Cathedral.

The Cathedral

 

Monument to Duke Albrecht.

Monument to Duke Albrecht

 

The regional centre of youth culture, former Stock exchange

The regional centre of youth culture, former Stock exchange


University.

University


Statue of Immanuel Kant.

Statue of Immanuel Kant


Wrangel Tower and Dohna Tower.

Wrangel Tower and Dohna Tower

 

Rossgarten gates

Rossgarten gates

 

The defence barracks “Kronprinz”

The defence barracks “Kronprinz”


 

The King’s Gates
The King’s Gates


Sculptural group “Fighting wisents” (“Bulls” in common parlance).

Sculptural group “Fighting wisents” (“Bulls” in common parlance)